Sweet House – Meadowbrook

According to a 1928 Mechanic’s Lien, J.J. and Maude Sweet hired D.M. Council, contractor, to build this house for $10,000. Mr. Sweet platted this area in 1924, and his house was the first constructed in the new addition. Sweet, and his partner Elzie T. Jenkins, were barbers who also ran Sweet and Jenkins, a real estate firm that, according to city directory advertisements, specialized in “city, business, and interurban property.” This two-story house is faced in textured buff colored brick. Paired Tuscan columns support the two-story portico and rich green tiles cover the tall lipped roof. An impressive Georgian classical house that contributes to this mid-1920s residential area, the building may be eligible for the National Register with more research about Sweet’s involvement in the development of this area.

Leave a Comment