Tanner House – Hemphill

The one-story brick Tanner House has a partial second story, rambling plan and combination gabled and hipped roofs. Built c. 1925 for J. F. Tanner and owned by the Tanner family until 1960, when it was purchased by the Edna Gladney Home. Mrs. Edna Gladney (1889-1961) became a director of the Texas Children’s Home & Aid Society in 1910, an organization founded in Fort Worth in 1904 for the care of unwed mothers, orphans and abandoned children. She joined the staff as superintendent in 1927. By her efforts, permanent housing was acquired and services enlarged. Her influence extended beyond her own office into securing legislation and social reform. Her work received wide public notice; it was dramatized (1941) in the motion picture “Blossoms in the Dust.” The house was renamed in her honor in 1950. The property received an Official Texas Historical Marker in 1974. The property still retains its red tiled roof, a feature not noted in the earlier survey. It is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (local and national) and is now owned by the Salvation Army.

Leave a Comment