The Fair/ Cox’s/ Lerners Shops – 601 Houston Street

 601 Houston Street, Lerner Shops, 1946-47.  Originally home to two of Fort Worth’s leading clothing and dry goods stores, The Fair (1895-1930) and Cox’s (1933-46), this 1895 building was completely remodeled in 1946-47 to house Lerner Shops, a women’s clothing merchant. Wiley G. Clarkson, a Fort Worth architect, was in charge of the project. The building had two sales floors, and the third floor of the stuccoed brick building was used for storage, alterations workshops, and offices. Like the Kress Building (CBD 120) next door, the structure extended the full width of the block between Houston and Main streets. With its canted walls, sunscreen, and original lettering, the structure is a definite period piece. In 1991 the building was vacant. This property has been demolished for a parking lot.

Leave a Comment