Trinity Episcopal Church – Lipscomb

Organized in 1893 as a mission by the Brotherhood of St. Andrews of the St. Andrew’s Parish, Trinity Episcopal Church originally worshipped in a structure located at Hemphill Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. A lot on Lipscomb and Myrtle Streets was purchased in 1915, and the existing building erected in 1924. The architect was Wiley G. Clarkson; the contractor was Harry B. Friedman Construction Co. The church has a cruciform plan, red brick walls with cast stone trim, and steeply pitched gabled roofs clad in slate. A large gothic window with layered reveal on the west wall is particularly fine. The Amon G. Carter Foundation purchased the property in 1948, and in 1974, donated it to the Panther Boys Club, which uses it as a gymnasium. The church building is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (local and national). It is still owned by the Boys and Girls Club.

Leave a Comment