W.C. Stripling House – Alta

Wesley C. Stripling, president of Stripling’s Department Store, purchased this parcel on the bluffs overlooking the West Fork of the Trinity River in 1911. Construction of his house began soon afterwards, and it remained in the family until 1954. An eclectic, vaguely Prairie style house, the substantial brick structure contains two stories in a generally rectangular plan. A central hipped block is flanked by a north wing of two stories containing a porte-cochere and a south wing of with a balustraded porch. A blocky, one-story portico exhibits an elaborate doorway. Roofed in green glazed shingle tile, the house’s brick surface has been painted and the north opening of the porte-cochere has been enclosed. Following further documentation and restoration, the house may be eligible for the National Register.

Leave a Comment