Wallace-Rowan House – Chapin

This large, two and one-half story house is an unusual combination of Period Revival style elements, with steeply pitched gables and a Colonial Revival style entry framed by engaged Tuscan columns. The house is clad in wide clapboard siding and has a shingled roof; a west wing appears to be an addition. The house, many outbuildings, and spacious, landscaped grounds sloping down to Mary’s Creek were originally constructed for Edward L. and Lucille K. Wallace and known as Stoneleigh Acres Farms. Odell Moore is remembered as the contractor. The Wallace’s bred American Saddle bred and Percheron horses on the farm and also raised cattle and hogs. In 1936 the farm was purchased by Arch H. and Stella Steirs Rowan. Mr. Rowan was president of Rowan & Nichols Oil Co., vice-president and later chairman of the board of Rowan Drilling Co. and secretary-treasurer of Rowan & Wilson, Inc., oil drilling contractors. Pending further research to determine the integrity of the structure and the architect of the house, the site may be eligible for the National Register. The house served as the Designers Showhouse sponsored by the Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant County in 1989.

Leave a Comment