Winter House – Hemphill

This one and one-half story wood-framed house has a rectangular plan, with porch recessed beneath the slope of the gabled roof. A forward-projecting bay, with steeply pitched gabled roof, is flanked by a gabled dormer with rolled walls, lending an eccentric feeling to the design. The house was built c. 1908 for John W. Winter. Winter managed the fertilizer department of the Armour & Co. plant at the stockyards, and ran a poultry and dairy products business in the 1920s. The house remains in the Winter family. The Winter House has been demolished.

Leave a Comment