Zeloski Commercial Row – Camp Bowie

Frank Zeloski, an owner and developer of property on the West Side, platted Zeloski Heights in 1921. Construction of this one-story commercial row property began in 1924. The shop’s first tenants in 1925 included a bakery, grocery, drugstore, cleaners and service station. The brick-veneer center storefronts feature stepped parapets 40 above altered shop windows. Martha Zeloski, his widow, enlarged the block in 1930. A building permit indicates that the westernmost store was an addition of 1930; architect Wiley G. Clarkson and contractor W. C. Harms were responsible. A 1929-30 mechanic’s lien shows that Clarkson also designed the store on the east side of the block; Harry B. Friedman was contractor. These polychrome brick-veneer shops feature high parapeted gable ends flanking tiled roofs.

Leave a Comment