Kensington Apartments – Cannon

The Kensington Apartments is a two-story brick structure. Second-story gables are half-timbered with stucco infill, evoking Tudor architecture. It is similar to several other apartment buildings in south Fort Worth in styling, yet lacking a companion structure and central court (see 2100-06 Forest Park Blvd., 1101-07 Fairmount Avenue, and 1420-26 College Avenue). It was built … Read more

Crownrich House – Leuda

The Crownrich House is an L-plan wood-framed house with interlocking gabled roofs and a full porch, which follows the receding planes of the front façade. Built c. 1905, the house was bought soon after by R. L. Crownrich, a conductor with the Texas & Pacific Railroad. It remained in the Crownrich family until 1981. The … Read more

Streetlights, (Park Hill neighborhood) – Winton

These ornamental streetlights were installed in the Park Hill subdivision beginning in 1926. The tapering fluted metal poles with “lantern” luminaries resemble closely the “Metropolitan” standard of the Union Metal Co. of Canton, Ohio, first developed for installation in Hollywood, California.

Fort Worth Central High School – Cannon

Fort Worth’s new high school, serving the residential districts of the Southside, opened at the beginning of the 1918 school year on the site of the Fort Worth University. The former high school on S. Jennings Avenue, which had opened in 1911, then became a junior high school (see 1015 S. Jennings). Designed by the … Read more

William B. Monnig House – Leuda

This large Craftsman Style house was built in 1905 for William B. Monnig, founder of the Monnig’s Department Store chain. The Monnig family owned the house until 1952. The exaggerated stick-like roof brackets, post-and-beam west porch, and extensive wood wainscoting in the interior make the house an unusually ambitious example of a style rare in … Read more

Streetlights (Berkeley neighborhood) – Hawthorne

A shorter version of the Westinghouse Hollowspun “Sheridan” standard described above (see grouping for University Place neighborhood), these streetlights were installed in the Berkeley Addition at about the same time.

Methodist Hospital – Cannon

The main building of this hospital complex opened in 1930 as Methodist Hospital, largely through the efforts of Dr. Charles Houston Harris, founder of an earlier hospital in Fort Worth. Funds were raised through public subscription under the auspices of the Central Texas Conference of the Methodist Church. The original nine-story radial-plan hospital was designed … Read more

Graham House – Leuda

The Graham House is a two-story brick dwelling with a rectangular plan, flaring hipped roof and full porch supported by stout brick piers. The roof retains original copper cresting. A two-story brick garage at the rear has arched openings with green terra cotta keystones; it was converted to a store c. 1920. The house and … Read more

Streetlights (Berkeley neighborhood) – Huntington

A shorter version of the Westinghouse Hollowspun “Sheridan” standard described above (see grouping for University Place neighborhood), these streetlights were installed in the Berkeley Addition at about the same time.

Schepps Baking Co. – Henderson

This large industrial building is composed of a one-story rectangular block with partial second story. Ornament includes a tiled canopy over second story windows and a short tower with vertical window and wrought-iron balcony. The structure is faced in textured yellow brick. Ground floor window openings have been filled in textured yellow brick. Built in … Read more

Membership has its rewards

Please join with other generous individuals, corporations, and foundations to help Historic Fort Worth with its mission to preserve history.

Tour McFarland House for Free. Receive free membership tour tickets as other discounts.

Historic Fort Worth is a 501c (3) charity.