William B. Monnig House – Leuda

This large Craftsman Style house was built in 1905 for William B. Monnig, founder of the Monnig’s Department Store chain. The Monnig family owned the house until 1952. The exaggerated stick-like roof brackets, post-and-beam west porch, and extensive wood wainscoting in the interior make the house an unusually ambitious example of a style rare in Fort Worth. With restoration, the house could be eligible for the National Register.
The Monnig House was designated Demolition Delay in 1996. It has received some needed repairs and was recently painted. The house would also be eligible for the National Register if the boundaries of the present Leuda-May Historic District were expanded. The lower photo was taken in 2007.

Leave a Comment