For the rehabilitation of a c.1943 commercial building into contemporary restaurant space, the Preservation Project Award is presented to Steven Halliday and Jason Eggenburger, the project architects and owners Kevin Von Ehrinfried and Scott Glover.
History and Building Significance: Built in 1943, the 1001 Bryan Avenue Building is a great example of minimal traditional commercial architecture that is representative of World War II era building design. The structure has a long hsitory as a local night club and watering hole, from the Tipp Topp Inn Night Club, to Club Nu Flava, to the current incarnation as Pouring Glory Growler Station.
Project Goals and Inspirations: The primary goal of the project was to activate the storefront and to undo years of poor renovations to return the building to its original simplicity.
Description of Work Performed: The renovation started with repairs to the foundation. The original brick had been painted overs several times. The construction team employed a bio-degradable and non-toxic pain removal strategy to return the building to its original state without harming the veneer. The storefront design was based on existing masonry openings that had been boarded up. By maximizing the amount of glazing within these existing openings, the project has activated the streetscape and serves as a pioneer for new development amongst the vacant lots surrounding it.
In summary, this project revitalized a World War II era building and returned it to its original simplicity. The project serves as a pioneer for future development and contributes to the South Main Corridor business district.