Fire Station No. 12 – Prospect

Acquisition of this North Side site for use as a fire station occurred in 1909. Sanguinet and Staats were responsible for the plans and specifications. This architectural firm worked with Innis-Graham Construction Co. on several fire stations during 1909 and 1910 and the station is virtually identical to two others from the same period in the South Side. Erected in 1910 to house horse-drawn equipment, the two-story, red brick building contains two garage entries alternating with a segmentally arched doorway and segmentally arched windows. The main elevation features cast-stone window sills and parapet panels and corbeled brick frieze bands. At present the garage doors and windows have been boarded up; the building is in use as a day care center. Pending restoration, the station may qualify for National Register listing.

Leave a Comment