Fort Worth Stock Yards Sign and Marine Creek Bridge – Exchange

Fort Worth Stock Yards Sign and Marine Creek Bridge, 1910. A major improvement to the street, the Topeka Bridge & Land Co. constructed the Exchange Avenue bridge across Marine Creek and the Fort Worth Stock Yards sign for the Fort Worth Stock Yards Co., the property owners. Built for the grand opening on March 14, 1910 of the Feeders’ and Breeders’ Show, the construction of the bridge and sign cost $16,000. Two low arches support the bridge over the creek; commercial structures (115-19 E. Exchange Ave & 118-20 E. Exchange Ave) were constructed on top of the bridge soon after. Two thick, round concrete columns with ball finials support the metal framework of the sign which spans E. Exchange Avenue. The sign possesses State Archeological Landmark status conferred by the Texas Antiquities Commission in 1984; the bridge should be given the same status. The sign is also a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark. Both structures lie within the limits of the Fort Worth Stockyards National Register Historic District.

Leave a Comment