Greater Saint James Baptist Church – 210 Harding Street

210 Harding Street [RTHL/NR/ESHD(NR)], Greater Saint James Baptist Church, 1913-18. Founded in 1895 by members of Mt. Gilead Baptist Church (CBD 68), Greater St. James Baptist Church is one of several churches in this historic African-American neighborhood east of downtown Fort Worth. The congregation met in a Y.W.CA. when it was first organized, but by 1913 had begun work on this structure. Dr. J.H. Winn, pastor from 1910 until 1940, guided the effort to erect this building. Services were held in the church basement until the sanctuary was completed in 1918. Sitting on a raised basement, the two-story complex consists of a church connected to an education building. Both are built of red brick with buff brick and cast stone trim. Each facade is framed by slightly projecting, low square entry towers. The windows are filled with leaded art glass. The church’s blocky mass and ranks of lancet windows give it an almost fortress-like appearance. The church was designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1986 and appears to be individually eligible for the National Register for its significance to the African-American heritage of Fort Worth. It is also a contributor to the potential East Second Street National Register Historic District.

Leave a Comment