House – 811 E. Bluff Street

811 E. Bluff Street [SAHD(NR)], House, C. 1915.  Built about 1915, this house served as rental property until 1946.  Among the early tenants were a number of railroad workers, the first being J.O. Tucker and R.L. Downs, conductor and engineer respectively for the Chicago Rock Island and Gulf Railway, who lived here from 1915 until 1919.  This house is a good example of a structure whose design was probably taken from a builder’s plan book.  It is a rectangular house with a full porch recessed beneath an overhanging hip roof.  The general massing and column treatment on the porch give it a Colonial Revival feeling.  The house contributes to the proposed Samuels Avenue National Register Historic District.