Johnson House – Chase

Dr. Clay Johnson was a noted Fort Worth physician and civic leader. He served on the Fort Worth Board of Education during the 1910s. The architects he chose for his house on Chase Court were Marion L. Waller and E. Stanley Field, who designed several schools in the city, including the old Fort Worth High School (see 1015 S. Jennings Avenue). The house, with its blocky massing and roof-terraced portico, was reputedly modeled after houses Dr. Johnson saw during a visit to Naples, Italy. It was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1984, and has been placed on the National Register. The Johnson House is also a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (national only). It has recently received much needed repairs.

Leave a Comment