Kimbell Milling Co. Building – Main

This one-story brick office building, located next to a grain elevator complex (see 1900-2000 blocks South Main Street) and railroad yards, was built in 1934-35 by Byrne & Luther as the headquarters for the Kimbell Milling Co. Kay Kimbell (1886-1964) was one of Fort Worth’s leading businessmen and a patron of the arts. He came to Fort Worth in 1924. By 1935, he controlled a food processing and delivery empire, owning in excess of 100 grain elevators with a capacity of eight million bushels, as well as the Buddies Food Market chain. An avid art collector, Kimbell displayed many valuable paintings in this building; these became the basis of the collection of the Kimbell Art Museum. For its historical associations, the building appears to be eligible for the National Register. The Kimbell Milling Company Building was designated Demolition Delay in 1995.

Leave a Comment