Matson-Berry House – Lipscomb

B. S. Matson commissioned the William Bryce Construction Co. to build this brick residence in 1903. The Matsons retained ownership until 1916. The house had a number of owners until purchased by the Berry family in 1937, who retained ownership until 1974. The one-story house has a rectangular plan and hipped roof: The hipped front porch has decorative brackets, an ornamental gable over the central stairs, and clusters of slender Tuscan columns on brick bases. Altogether, the house is an early and excellent example of residential brick construction on a small scale. It appears to be eligible for the National Register. The Matson-Berry House is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (local and national).

Leave a Comment