Row of Seven Houses – Adams

These similarly designed two-story apartment houses were constructed between c. 1924 and 1928. Several are documented: 1025-27 S. Adams was built in 1926, 1009-11 S. Adams in 1927. The buildings at 1009-11, 1021-23 and 1025-27 were developed by R. G. Booth, who hired contractor H. R. Cooksey to build them. The other buildings were developed by Mrs. Fannie Marshall. The seven structures situated together with brick walls and red-tiled roofs form an impressive block-long streetscape. They are presently under the same ownership. The red-tiled roofs were replaced with asphalt shingles after the buildings were first documented. These resources were demolished in August 2006 for a mixed-use development. The upper left photo was taken during the original survey conducted in 1983. The lower right photo of 1009 S. Adams Street was taken a few days before it was demolished.

Leave a Comment