Salerno Building – Daggett

The Salerno Building is a two-story brick commercial structure with a rectangular plan and flat parapeted roof. The upper story is articulated by engaged brick piers which project above the corbelled cornice, and lit by rectangular double-hung windows set in segmental arched openings. The original store fronts have been stuccoed over, and the brick painted yellow. Erected c. 1909, the building housed the saloon of Jacob Salerno, with furnished rooms offered by Mrs. Olive Butler upstairs. During Prohibition, Salerno advertised as a confectioner offering “soft drinks.” Salerno finally purchased the property in 1933; it remained in the family until the mid 1950s. This was another building constructed after the great Southside fire of April 3, 1909. The brick is now painted white. The lower photo was taken in 2007.

Leave a Comment