Stafford House – Westover

John A. Stafford came to Fort Worth in 1910 as an executive with the Fort Worth Stock Yards Co. and the Fort Worth Belt Railway. In 1919, he organized and became president of Stafford-Low- don Co., a printing and engraving firm still prominent in Fort Worth. The residence was constructed about 1931; Stafford purchased the house the following year. Joseph R. Pelich remembered as the architect. The one and one-half story house, faced in orange brick, is a Period Revival style composition with gabled roofs clad in clay shingle tile. A cross gable projects forward from the irregular plan, embellished with half timbering, decorative brickwork, and leaded, diamond pane windows with finely molded limestone surrounds. A tall corbeled chimney flanks the central wing on the north, and a Tudor arched doorway with limestone surrounds is located in the angle of the wings. on the south, shielded by a curbed porch with stout, bracketed posts. The residence is in excellent, unaltered condition.

Leave a Comment