Westbrook House – Winton

This large and impressive Tudor Revival house, built in 1928, was designed by Fort Worth architect Joseph R. Pelich for R. A. and Gladys Westbrook. Mr. Westbrook was founder of the Westbrook Oil Co. The house is two and one-half stories in height with brick walls and gabled roof clad in slate. Gabled bays, half-timbered with stucco infill, project forward and flank an arcaded entry porch. A crenelated stair tower adjoins one of the bays. The house is situated on a large landscaped lot on a bluff; its silhouette is a visual landmark. Members of the Clark family owned the property from 1946 to 2006. The Westbrook House was designated Demolition Delay in 1995. It was designated as a Historic and Cultural Landmark in 2007. After years of neglect, the new owners are sensitively rehabilitating the home’s exterior, interior and grounds (2007). The Westbrook House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 8, 2009 as an excellent example of the Tudor Revival style in South Fort Worth.

Leave a Comment