Steven C. Laird for the Fountain G. & Mary Oxsheer HOuse at 1119 Pennsylvania Avenue(1916)
In 2016 Steven C. Laird purchased the Oxsheer House for his law office. This intact and rare remnant of Fort Worth’s Quality Hill that once was lined with upscale 19th 20th century homes was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2016. In 2017 it became a Historic and Cultural Landmark of the City of Fort Worth. And, as we gather, a nomination to the Texas Historical Commission is underway for the Oxsheer House to designate a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
The house is an excellent example of a hipped-roof, symmetrical with a front entry subtype of the Prairie School. It is significant for its association with Fountain G. Oxsheer, a pioneer West Texas cattleman whose contributions to the livestock industry, especially the breeding of range cattle, placed him posthumously, in the Hall of Cattle Kings of Texas in 1836.
Restoration projects by Mr. Laird included the installation of new clay roof tiles and repairs to many of the double-hung wooden windows. All interior features were retained, including the original 1916 furnace and coal bin, Rockwood tiles around the fireplace, and the original artificial logs from Leonard’s Department Store.
Although Mr. Laird has owned the Oxsheer House slightly over two years, he has demonstrated deep respect for its architectural and historical significance.