Anderson House – Chatburn

Sited at the end of a cul-de-sac in the Cheltenham neighborhood, this two-story brick residence is noteworthy for its sumptuous use of materials, particularly the cast stone portico and glazed green-tiled roof. It was built c. 1923 for Marvin G. Anderson, owner of the Anderson Drug Company. His wife, Blanche, was an artist, and the … Read more

Davis House – Ward

One of the few examples of a Streamline Moderne house in Fort Worth, this residence was built in 1937 by engineer Charles M. Davis, based on his own design. Davis specialized in bridge design; the interior features a cantilevered staircase.

Barclay Apartments – Forest Park

The Barclay Apartments are a well-maintained example of a recurring building type in the Southside, built in 1929 by the Worth Building & Investment Co. It consists of mirror-image two-story Tudor Revival apartment buildings facing a central landscaped court.

Lily B. Clayton School – Park Place

Lily B. Clayton School was constructed in two phases in the 1920s and 1930s. Set on large landscaped grounds, it is a U-plan structure with one-story and two-story wings clad in yellow, brown and ochre brick, with tiled roofs. The one-story west wing, designed by Wiley G. Clarkson, opened in 1922 as Mistletoe Heights Elementary … Read more

Sinex-Rumph House – Pembroke

This low-slung bungalow, set on a conspicuous corner site, is noteworthy for a recessed arcaded porch and eccentric attic dormer. It was built in 1922 for Charles H. Sinex, general manager of the Tarrant County Building & Loan Association. Dr. Thomas Rumph, a physician, purchased the house in 1925; it remained in the family through … Read more

Second Church of Christ, Scientist – Forest Park

The Second Church of Christ, Scientist, was organized in Fort Worth in April, 1922. It met in a building on Pennsylvania Avenue until 1949, when the present complex was completed. The sanctuary and education/office wing are rendered in red brick in a simplified version of American Colonial architecture, designed by Edward L. Wilson, and built … Read more

Turman-Harbison House – Pembroke

Luther C. Turman, an oil operator, was the first owner of this one-story residence. Built c. 1924, the house had a number of occupants after 1930 until purchased by Dixon T. Harbison in 1948. Harbison was co-owner of the Harbison-Fischer Mfg. Co., makers of oil well and related equipment (see 2501 Virginia Avenue, demolished since … Read more

Garrett House – Pembroke

John H. Garrett, general superintendent of the Hutt Contracting Co., suppliers of food and other commodities to railroad companies and other clients, had this house built c. 1927. The Garretts lived here through the 1950s. Located on a prominent corner lot, the two-story house has red brick walls highlighted by grey and black brick, with … Read more

Birchfield House – Pembroke

The Birchfield House is a one-story brick veneer Tudor Revival house on a conspicuous corner site. Variously scaled gabled bays project from two cross-gabled wings; some have half-timbering in the gable ends. Brickwork and detailing is meticulous. The house was built c. 1923 for George W. Birchfield. The Birchfield House was designated a Historic and … Read more