Forest Park Gates – Park Pl

This pair of identical stone towers was erected by the City of Fort Worth to flank the entrance to Forest Park. They were designed by Fort Worth architect John Pollard, and constructed by the Bryce Building Co. in 1917-18. Each is of rubble limestone construction, square in plan, with slightly tapering walls and a red tile hipped roof with wide overhang. Arched openings are on each level, with ornamental balconies of sandstone beneath the openings at the second story. The towers were restored in 1980, largely through the efforts of the Berkeley Place Association. For their architectural quality and their embodiment of city beautification efforts in early 20th-century Fort Worth, they appear to be eligible for the National Register. The Forest Park Gates were designated as City of Fort Worth Historic and Cultural Landmarks in 2002.

Leave a Comment