Sinclair Gas Station – Camp Bowie

Manvel Ervin, an architect and engineer for the Sinclair Refining Co., designed nearly 2,000 gas stations throughout the southwest. Constructed in 1937 as a gas station with an office and garage behind, this station operated until 1967. It was used as a radio store from 1967 to 1988, when the structure was renovated and returned … Read more

Helpy-Selfy Store No. 12 – Camp Bowie

A warranty deed indicates that Thurber Construction Co. was responsible for erecting the parapeted brick store. The building is largely intact, though its brick surface has been painted and shop windows have been replaced with plate glass.

Martin Commercial Building – Camp Bowie

Traveling salesman Henry S. Martin purchased this property in 1923. R. C. Maxwell, contractor, erected the commercial structure in 1926; groceries, drugstores and small retail shops have occupied the premises since then. The one-story, flat-roofed building has a dentil patterned brick frieze. Windows have been altered and the brick surface painted.

Steve’s Restaurant/ Finley’s Cafeteria – Camp Bowie

Stephen Murrin, Sr. purchased this triangular lot in 1926 and operated a restaurant at this site by the following year. The popular West Side restaurant was succeeded during the 1940s by Duncan’s Cafeteria, and was later renamed Finley’s Cafeteria. The one- story structure of flatiron plan is clad in textured yellow brick; a green glazed … Read more

Arlington Heights Presbyterian Church – Camp Bowie

A cornerstone and tax records indicate that this church was initially constructed in 1922 as Arlington Heights Presbyterian Church. A reading room was added in 1955. Ownership of the site passed to Partners in Prayer, Inc. in 1965; the First Church of Christ Scientist relocated in 1976 to this site. The polychrome brick- veneer church … Read more

Elliott Commercial Row – Camp Bowie

This small, one-story commercial row contains six storefronts roofed in Mission tile and separated by parapeted brick piers. James P. Elliott, a contractor and first owner of the site, may have constructed the row about 1926. Early tenants included a cafe, barbershop, beauty shop and cleaners; similar concerns have located in the building since that … Read more

Streelights – Camp Bowie

Camp Bowie Boulevard Streetlights run from Boland Street to Sanguinet Street. Camp Bowie Boulevard was improved in 1927, when traffic lanes were paved in brick on either side of a central parkway containing streetcar tracks. The City of Fort Worth purchased lighting equipment from several electric companies, and installed streetlights from 1927 to 1928. These … Read more

Camp Bowie Boulevard Brick Streets – Camp Bowie

Arlington Heights Boulevard, now called Camp Bowie Boulevard, led west from the city to the resort area of Lake Como. The thoroughfare was renamed in 1919 by the Federation of Women’s Clubs to commemorate Camp Bowie, the huge World War I army training camp which occupied an area extending north to River Crest Country Club … Read more