House – 1020 E. Fourth Street

 

1020 E. Fourth Street [ESHD(NR)], House, c. 1909. Located at the foot of Harding St. near the railroad tracks, this simple frame house with a gabled roof has long been a meeting place for residents of this Mrican-American neighborhood. Myra Watson both operated a lunch stand from and lived in this structure from 1909 until 1914. Shoe repairman Willis Winkfield lived here from the mid1920s through the early 1940s, operating his business next door in a building that has since been demolished. In more recent years, the structure has served as a residence. The property is a contributor to the potential East Second Street National Register Historic District.

Leave a Comment