Arlington Heights Public School – Pershing

Probably constructed in 1896 or 1897 on rented property, this was the first school house in the Arlington Heights subdivision. The one room schoolhouse was enlarged to three rooms probably soon after initial construction; William Cameron’s building company is listed in school records as responsible for a number of alterations. The red brick structure, composed as a hipped block, formed a T-plan with later additions. When Arlington Heights School on Camp Bowie Boulevard was completed in 1909, this schoolhouse was sold to a private owner as a rental residence. The structure has seen a number of later alterations, including additions on the south (1929), west (1939), and north (1950). Original double door entrances have been converted into bay windows. The school does not possess sufficient architectural integrity to be included in the Public Schools National Register Thematic Group.

Leave a Comment