Bluford H. Lawrence House – 1301 E. Bluff Street

1301 E. Bluff Street, Bluford H. Lawrence House, c.1892.  This house, originally a Victorian cottage with Queen Anne detailing, was built for Bluford H. Lawrence, a bookkeeper and cashier for wholesale druggist H.W. Williams & Co.  The delicate spindle work, scroll sawn brackets, and chamfered gable braces gave the house a distinctive air.  In 1981, when field work for this survey was conducted, the house was unaltered and potentially eligible for the National Register.  In recent years all ornamentation has been stripped and the house covered in brick veneer.  Little but the roof line of the original structure remains.

Leave a Comment