BUckler-Landreth House – Hazelwood

This spacious, bluff-top site overlooking the West Fork of the Trinity River was acquired by Jack M. Buckler, an oil operator, in 1938. Jack and JoAlice Buckler commissioned prominent Fort Worth architect Joseph R. Pelich to design their residence. Adele Landreth acquired the house in 1943, and William A. and Virginia Landreth owned and resided at the house from 1950 to 1972. The property recently has been reacquired by members of the Buckler family, and served as the 1984 Designers Showhouse sponsored by the Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant County.
Pelich’s Colonial Revival design for the large, two-story gabled house features an angled V-plan set on the landscaped site to take advantage of the view. A gabled portico bay, set between the north and south wings, contains a first-floor entry with leaded glass sidelights and a second-story Palladian window. A rounded porch, embellished with wrought iron and set on a fieldstone base, projects from the north wing. A number of windows have been replaced and the brick surface has been painted.

Leave a Comment