Chase-Meacham House – Elizabeth

The Chase-Meacham House is two stories and clad in white glazed brick. It is rectangular in plan with a glazed green-tiled hipped roof. Situated on a corner lot, a terrace wraps around the two principal façades, covered by a full porch with Ionic columns along the front. High end piers on the porch have friezes with Sullivanesque ornament. One of the first houses on Elizabeth Boulevard, it was built in 1912 for Dr. Ira C. Chase, a prominent surgeon, medical professor and textbook author. Chase came to Texas from Ohio in 1891, settling in Fort Worth in 1893. The house was sold to Henry C. Meacham c. 1920. Meacham was the owner of the Meacham’s Dept. Store, mayor of Fort Worth from 1925 to 1927, and namesake of Meacham Field. His daughter, Minnie, married Amon G. Carter. The house remained in the Meacham family until 1966. The Chase-Meacham House is a contributing resource in the Elizabeth Boulevard Historic District (local and national). The accompanying photos were taken in 2007.

Leave a Comment