Commercial Building – 308 Main Street

308 Main Street, Commercial Building, c. 1906. Site of the legendary White Elephant Saloon (along with CBD 113) and its second-floor cock fighting pit during the 1890s, the current building at this location was constructed about 1906 and first housed Charles M. Cates, haberdasher, on the ground floor. Central Texas Realty, J.A. Reisacker Musical Instrument Repair, and C.J. McCormick, a dentist, were all located on the second floor. A variety of tenants, including clothing stores, a bakery, barber supply shop, and women offering furnished rooms occupied the building through the years. Morris Pawn Shop was located here in the late 1970s, just before the building was redeveloped as part of the Sundance Square project. The architectural firm of Thomas E. Woodward & Associates restored the structure’s Mission Revival facade in 1981, constructing a completely new building behind it. Thomas S. Byrne, Inc. was the general contractor for the renovation project.

Leave a Comment