The Smoke House – 310-312 Main Street

310-312 Main Street, The Smoke House, c. 1906.  Like its neighbor to the north (CBD 112), this building was constructed about 1906 on a portion of the site of the White Elephant Saloon, and leased to The Smoke Shop, a cigar shop and billiard parlor.  Attorneys McCart, Bowlin & McCart had offices on the second floor.  Other tenants through the years included clothing stores, shoe shine parlors, restaurants, and pawn shops.  The two-story brick commercial building was renovated in 1981 as part of the Sundance Square project.  As with many of the other structures on the west side of this block of Main Street, the second floor of the historic facade with its stone lintels and string course was preserved while the ground-floor storefront was reconstructed and a new building built behind it.  Thomas E. Woodward & Associates were the architects and Thomas S. Byrne, Inc. was the general contractor for the project.

Leave a Comment