Daughters of the American Revolution Monument – Crestline

The D.A.R. Monument consists of a road building tool used by Fort Worth pioneer Louis Wetmore. Wetmore was a veteran of the Mexican War and served under Major Ripley Arnold. Also a Confederate soldier, Wetmore was killed in the Civil War. A disc-shaped chunk of aggregate rock with a hole near the center, the tool was dragged by oxen to smooth the roads near Wetmore’s farm south of Fort Worth. Members of the Fort Worth chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated the monument in 1924. Originally located downtown in Hyde Park, the stone was set on a new stone base in front of the Van Zandt Cottage (2900 Crestline Road) in the 1960s.

Leave a Comment