Fleming House – Medford

The Fleming House is a large two-story brick residence situated on a prominent corner site in the center of the Park Hill subdivision. Designed by Joseph R. Pelich and built in 1927, it is quite similar to Pelich’s earlier Melat House in Ryan Place (see 2600 Ryan Place Drive). It is a two-story gabled structure, symmetrically composed with identical gabled wings at each end. Loggias project forward from these wings, flanking a full front terrace. The central entry has a pedimented cast stone surround. The house was built for J. P. Johnston and sold in 1932 to William Fleming. William Fleming (1881-1963) was a prominent entrepreneur in the oil industry who owned and managed several major companies. He was also a leader in the Baptist Church, and gave generously to Baptist institutions. The Fleming family retained ownership of the property until 1982. For its association with William Fleming, the house may be eligible for the National Register, following an assessment of its architectural integrity. The Fleming House was designated Demolition Delay in 1995.

Leave a Comment