Fort Worth Club Building/Floyd J. Holmes Building/Mid-Continent Supply Co – 106 W. Sixth Street

106 W Sixth, Street, Fort Worth Club Building/Floyd J. Holmes Building/Mid-Continent Supply Co./Kiii Building, 1915-16; 1937; 1974.  In 1915 the Fort Worth Club began demolition on this site of the three-story structure that bad housed the Club (called the Commercial Club from 1887 to 1906 and the Fort Worth Club since 1906) since 1887.  The new building, originally designed to be twelve stories tall, was built as six stories, and constructed by Bryce Building Company.   Although documentation is incomplete, evidence indicates that the building may have been designed by Fort Worth architects Muller and Pollard.  The building displays a skillful use of decorative brick patterning and inlaid terra cotta tile.  Its design is enhanced by delicate iron-railed balconies on the top floor.  The Fort Worth Club occupied the fourth through sixth floors of the building, leasing the other space to a variety of tenants including Haltom’s Jewelers, physicians, insurance agents, and investment bankers.  In 1922 the Fort Worth Club sold the building to Floyd J. Holmes, an oilman who ran the Comet Petroleum Company.  The Fort Worth Club continued to lease space in the building (the fifth and sixth floors) until 1926 when their new building at 300 W. Seventh Street (CBD 26) was completed.  Holmes’ offices occupied the fourth floor.  In 1937 Haltom’s remodeled the ground floor of the building, removing the decorative terracotta and replacing it with a Streamline Moderne facade with dark stone, aluminum lettering, and decorative metalwork designed by architects Robert P. Woltz Jr. and Phillip G. Willard. Mid-Continent Supply Co. purchased the building in 1949 from Frank J. Holmes’ son, Woodrow.  The Haltom’s storefront was removed in 1974, about the time the jewelry store left the building. The original double-hung sash windows on the upper floors were replaced with single pane fixed windows about that time as well.  In 1979 the building was renamed the Kiii Building by its owner and occupant, Kendavis Industries International Inc.

Leave a Comment