Foster/Hodgson/Pool House – Samuels

Isaac Foster, a farmer who had significant land holdings, is first listed at this address in the 1883-84 city directory. He and hist wife, Mary, occupied the house until his death about 1900. Following her husband’s death, Mary Foster lived with her daughter and son-in-law Lulu and William B. Garvey. In 1911 this property was sold to Arthur D. Hodgson, secretary and general manager of Nash Hardware Co. Hodgson lived here until 1927 when the house was acquired by Walter C. pool, Sr., owner of Pool’s Dairy. It remains in the Pool family. The Italianate house has undergone major alterations over the years, most notable the removal of a tower, the addition of a front porch about 1915, and a major interior renovation in 1950. The house is a contributor to the proposed Samuels Avenue National Register Historic District.

Leave a Comment