George B. Monnig House – Broadway

George B. Monnig, co-founder with his brother, William, of Monnig’s Department Store, had a house built on this site in 1905. This house was destroyed in the great fire of April 3, 1909, which consumed 20 blocks in the Southside. The Monnigs erected the existing residence on the same site, residing here through the 1940s. It is a two-story brick structure with rectangular plan and flaring, bracketed red-tiled hipped roof. The brick piers of the full porch are embellished with fine cast stone ornament. The house has recently undergone sensitive restoration, and it may be eligible for the National Register for its architectural qualities and its association with a prominent Fort Worth family. The Monnig House was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1986. It was designated Demolition Delay in 1995. It was used as a shelter for teenagers until the summer of 2006. Future plans for the house have not been announced.

Leave a Comment