George E. Tandy Elementary School – Purington

One of the earliest school buildings in the Meadowbrook area, the Tandy School dates from 1923. George E. Tandy platted and developed much of the Meadowbrook area, and he sold this site to the school district in 1921. Butcher and Sweeney were the contractors for the $41,224 project. The school was constructed by the Polytechnic Independent School District, but became part of the Fort Worth Independent School District when this area was annexed by the City of Fort Worth in 1922. G.N. Fisher was the first principal of the original eight classroom building. A 1948 addition included six more classrooms and a basement cafeteria/auditorium. The original 1922 building is a two-story red brick building with a high basement. The school has a handsome corbelled cornice and a prominent central entrance set in a brick round arch surround and a classical cast stone architrave. New anodized frame windows have replaced the old windows. The school closed in 1970, but it has been remodeled for use as a retirement home; the work includes major additions to both sides of the old school building.

Leave a Comment