House – 1309 E. Bluff Street

1309 E. Bluff Street [HPHD], House, c. 1906.  This one story wood frame house was erected as a rental property about 1906.  Etta Jackson, a widow, is the first tenant listed in city directory records.  A succession of tenants, including a fireman, carpenters, and a machinist, followed until 1919 when Amanda Jane Mattox purchased the property.  She lived here, renting out a portion of the house, until 1957.  An unusual T-plan design with twin gabled porches, the house displays the hand of a creative builder.  The house is a contributor to the potential Hampton-Peach Streets Historic District.

Leave a Comment