Maxwell-Kimbell-Carter House – Medford

This rambling Mediterranean-style house is clad in white stucco with red tile roofs. It was built c. 1927 for Joe Maxwell, who traded the house, to C. O. Collins for an oil lease following the Stock Market crash of October, 1929. Both were prominent oil men. Kay Kimbell, grain magnate and arts patron, purchased the property in 1932 and lived here until 1946. Mrs. Nenetta Burton Carter, wife of Amon C. Carter, resided here from 1946 to 1953. Since that time, a parish of the Episcopal Church of the Diocese of Fort Worth has used it as a rectory. For its association with persons significant in the development of Fort Worth, the house appears to be eligible for the National Register. The Maxwell-Kimbell-Carter House was designated Demolition Delay in 1995. It is now a private residence.

Leave a Comment