Meadowbrook United Methodist Church – Meadowbrook

The original Meadowbrook Methodist Church on this site was built in 1928. The growth of the congregation prompted church members to form a building fund in 1940 to raise funds for a new sanctuary. By 1946, the building committee raised sufficient funds to hire Wiley G. Clarkson, the architect of many significant Fort Worth buildings, to draw plans for the new church. In early 1947, the State of Texas granted Meadowbrook Methodist Church a charter, and ground breaking ceremonies occurred in October. The cornerstone was laid in April, 1948, and the sanctuary opened to the congregation in 1949. The church is a simplified Gothic Revival design with a tall, steeply pitched gable roof. Three vertical, pointed-arch windows sit above the gabled central entrance portal. Aside portal repeats the gable form of the main portal. Two years after the completion of the main sanctuary, the church formed a new building committee to build an educational wing. The building committee hired Preston M. Geren, architect, to design the new wing. Construction began in 1952 by the Childs Construction Co., and was completed in 1953. The addition designed by Green sensitively repeats the forms and details of the main sanctuary in a series of setback wings. In 1957, the fellowship hall was added, and the educational wing was expanded in 1967.

Leave a Comment