Miller’s Mutual Fire Insurance Building – 900 Monroe Street

900 Monroe Street, Miller’s Mutual Fire Insurance Building, 1920; 1946.  A subdued design from 1920 by architects Van Slyke and Woodruff, this building is a functional block with perfunctory classical detailing.  It presents an interesting contrast to Van Slyke and Woodruff’s other more ornate downtown building, First Christian Church (CBD 153).  Originally constructed as a two-story building fronting on W. Tenth St., the top two floors were added in 1946 and the front entrance moved to Monroe St.  The building’s conservative styling is appropriate for the insurance companies which have occupied it.

Leave a Comment