Morning Chapel Colored Methodist Episcopal Church/Morning Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Churc – Third

903 E. Third Street [ESHD(NR)], Morning Chapel Colored Methodist Episcopal Church/Morning Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, 1934-36; 1958.  According to a “Sketch of History of Fort Worth Methodism” by W. Erskine Williams, Morning Chapel e.M.E. Church was founded in 1868 under the leadership of Rev. W.H. Coger. This building, designed by local architect W.e. Meador, was erected in 1934-36.  While the building was under construction, the church met in the upstairs auditorium of the Knights of Pythias Hall (CBD 6).  The one-story rusticated limestone building has stone buttresses at each of the corners and a series of gothic-arched stained glass windows.  Cornerstones from previous church buildings have been incorporated into the structure and are set next to the cornerstone for the current structure.  The name of the church was changed to Morning Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church in 1954. In 1958, contractor Joe Peace erected a brick educational building to the rear of the church.  Morning Chapel is a contributor to the potential East Second Street National Register Historic District.

Leave a Comment