Ornamental Columns – Mount Vernon

This group of three columns are the remnants of a larger set that originally functioned as entrance gates to this block of Mount Vernon Avenue. The paving contracts for this part of Mount Vernon date from early 1927, and the columns may have been built at that time as part of the development of this area by the Beacon Hill Land Co. Developers frequently provided such improvements as curbing, gutters, grading and sidewalks as a means of attracting buyers to a development. The three remaining free-standing columns, on rough concrete bases, are of reinforced concrete construction with a hollow shaft. The capitals have an attractive floral frieze below a classical egg and dart molding. The following primary resource was added to the Meadowbrook list subsequent to the final compilation and numbering and, therefore, is out of sequence.

Leave a Comment