Peters Bros., Inc. – Hatters – 909-911 Houston Street

909-911 Houston Street, Peters Bros., Inc. – Hatters, 1917. Brothers Tom and Jim Peters came to Fort Worth from Greece, by way of Nashville, Tennessee and Waco, Texas, in 1911.  The two men opened a shoe shine parlor and, prospering, moved into this building in 1917.  Early business enterprises also included shoe repair as well as the now-famous hats.  Peter Bros. developed and manufactured the world-famous “Shady Oaks” hat for Amon Carter, Sr., a trademark gift that was given to presidents and visiting dignitaries.  The store is a simple two-story brick structure, typical of many small commercial buildings of the period.  Its distinctive character is due primarily to the delightful neon sign, probably dating from the 1940s, depicting a variety of Peters Bros. hats.

Leave a Comment