Reeves-Walker House – Hemphill

This very large two and one-half story house is generally rectangular in plan. Its composition is of a hipped block with gabled bays projecting to the front and sides. Walls are faced in yellow-buff brick. Cast stone or sandstone quoins and window surrounds are painted dark red. The heavily corniced eaves are supported by ornate brackets. A terrace wraps around the front to the south. Front and side porches are supported by clusters of columns with floral capitals, with a circular portico projecting forward at the main entrance. A porte-cochere projects off the south wall. Tall chimneys accentuate the house’s silhouette. A gabled brick carriage house is at the rear of the lot. The mansion was built c. 1908 for William Reeves, a prominent stockbroker, and purchased in 1917 by John L. Walker, realtor and president of the Walker Grain Co. The Walker family owned the property until 1967. Since that time, it has been used as a funeral home. The house appears to be eligible for the National Register for its architectural quality. The Reeves-Walker House is well maintained and now serves as an attorney’s office. It is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (local and national). The lower photo is of the carriage house.

Leave a Comment