Sagamore Hill Elementary School – Hughes

The Fort Worth Independent School District annexed the Sagamore Hill Independent School District in 1925. The original Sagamore Hill School had nine classrooms, which proved to be inadequate to accommodate area school children by the 1930s. The Fort Worth Independent School District built a new school in 1940 as part of a major school expansion and improvement program under the Works Progress Administration. The first 1940 phase of building included seventeen classrooms; four more classrooms were added in 1948, and two classrooms and an auditorium were constructed in 1952. The important Fort Worth architect Wiley G. Clarkson designed the main building and the early additions. Horace C. Maples designed a 6,000 square foot rear addition in 1958. Clarkson designed many of Fort Worth’s finest public school buildings during the 1930s, including the Masonic Home and School of Texas (P 86-97). Although Clarkson often favored historical building styles (Tudor, Italianate, etc.), he was also noted for his Moderne projects which included the Sinclair Building (1929) and North Side Senior High School (1937). When it reaches fifty years of age, the school will be a contributor to the proposed Public Schools National Register Thematic Group.

Leave a Comment