Scaling House – Collinwood

George W. Scaling, head cattlebuyer for Armour & Co., purchased seven adjoining lots here in 1908, and with his wife Ada, owned and occupied this house until 1936. A similar home, built a few years later far Scaling’s sister, once stood on the corner lot. The one and one-half story house, of rectangular plan, has a hip roof with a large cross gable which projects forward. A one-story porch wraps around the south and east elevations, supported by paired and clustered Ionic columns on brick bases. Distinguishing details of the house include the leaded and beveled glass entry surrounds and the windows with diamond-pattern mullions. The house is in excellent condition, though the brick porch piers have been painted. The dwelling may be eligible for the National Register, pending further documentation.

Leave a Comment