Scaling House – Westover

About 1935, George W. and Ada Scaling moved from their Arlington Heights residence to their new house in Westover Hills. Scaling had arrived in Fort Worth by 1904, and worked his way up from weigher and stockman for Armour & Co. to head cattle buyer. This large, French Chateau style house has a symmetrical, double-H plan with a two-story central block with tall chimneys flanked by one-story pavilions linked by hyphens. Steeply pitched hip roofs are clad in orange clay shingle tile. The main block has a central arched entry with broken pediment of limestone, flanked by segmental arched first- and second-story windows. The window surrounds, string courses, and diaper patterning are warm orange brick, while the brick surface of the house is selectively painted antique white. The residence is remembered to be the design of architects Patterson & Teague for developer-contractors Byrne & Luther, Inc. The house appears largely intact, but in need of maintenance. Pending additional research, the house may qualify for the National Register for its design qualities and association with an important figure in the cattle industry in Fort Worth.

Leave a Comment